Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Really? A Chicken Farm, Really?

I never want it to be about a project. I want it to be about relationships. I am fond of the saying: "Projects are the vehicle, relationships are the destination". Having said that, I am completely aware that projects are also the vehicle that help undercut the devastating effects of economic poverty. So...here is one of the latest projects I am working on: a chicken farm. Yes, you read that correctly.

Our friend, Josue, in Haiti has asked us to help him start a chicken farm that will be of nutritional and economic assistance for his organization, Evangelical Churches of Haiti. As I have talked to others in the development community about the value of this idea I consistently hear words of affirmation. In fact, (anecdotal evidence alert) one agent for an NGO in Haiti told me that 30 million eggs are consumed in Haiti each year and that 1 million are produced in Haiti. The majority come from the Dominican. I am trying to follow up on this statistic, but the numbers, if accurate, reinforce the value of a chicken operation.

I will be going to Haiti later this year, probably October, with a couple of others to look at property the Evangelical Churches of Haiti owns and clarify with Josue, some of the details of the project.

The cost of this trip for me will be around $2000.00. Some of you have helped with this trip, thank you. If others would like to help make this happen, go back to the home page and click on the "My Work and how to Support it" tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment